How To Tell If Shoes Are Too Big? (Fix Big Shoe Issue)
If you are curious about knowing how we can identify either our running shoes are Properly fit or it is big.
Then you are in the right place. As we are going to discuss it in complete detail.
While selecting running shoes we always look for the size at the first step.
Does size is the only factor in selecting it?
No! There are many other factors responsible for selecting it.
Don’t worry! We have covered all factors in this blog.
So, now the question is “how to tell if shoes are too big for your feet?”
“The simplest way to tell if a shoe is too big is by looking at your toes to make sure that there is about a thumb of space between the end of your toes and the end of the shoe.”
You can also push your foot forward until your toes just touch the shoe end and then just slide your thumb right into the back of the shoe to make sure your thumb fits snuggly.
Read the blog till the end to learn how to fix big shoe issues if you face them.
Signs You’re Wearing The Wrong Size Shoes
These are some of the other signs which if you see in your shoe, this tells that you’re wearing the wrong size shoes.
- If you’re not able to remove your shoes without untying the laces, you are wearing a tight shoe than the natural size.
- If your shoes start slipping off from the heel during running or walking, this means the shoe you’re wearing is too big.
- If your feet experiencing soreness every time you complete running or walking, this means your shoes are wrong in size.
- Wear the shoe and tie the laces as you do normally. If you continue to lace up the shoe, this means the shoe is bigger for your foot.
- Wear the shoe and walk for a while around, if your foot feels loose and the heel slips, you might get starting blisters at the back.
- If your shoe is tight across the midfoot and heel, you might start noticing that you’re getting a hotspot when you’re running.
- If your shoe is too narrow at the toe box and does not have enough space for the toes to Weagle around, it may cause a little hotspot around the outside toes.
Is it OK to Wear Shoes That Are Too Big or Too Tight?
The shoe which is right in size and fits properly will provide natural foot movement and a better platform to your foot to support your entire body.
This is how you run safely, walk comfortably, and enjoy all walking and running activities happily without getting injured.
On the other hand, the shoe which is too tight can cause several foot-related problems such as blisters, pain in the heel & ankle, and bunions, etc.
And by wearing these types of shoes, your feet may feel sore by the end of the day.
While the shoe that is too big or loose may make you walk or run uncomfortably. These shoes will never maintain the stability of your body and may make you fall.
And by wearing these types of shoes, you’re prone to accidents which can further lead to major foot injuries.
How Much Room Should be At the End of the Shoe?
There should be about a 1/2 inch (size of the tip of your index finger) space between the end of your longest toe and the end of the front of the shoe.
This is also expert advice that when you buy any running shoes or walking shoes, you can go up about half a size or a size bigger.
When you walk or run for long hours, your foot tends to swell because the heart pumps more blood and sends them to your extremities.
So, in that case, if you wear a shoe that is half a size larger then your foot gets more room to fit naturally.
What to Do if The Shoe is Too Big?
If you have a pair of running shoes or any other shoes that is too big or loose then these are some of the easy yet effective ways to fix them.
Use any of the following tricks to make your loose or tight shoes best fitted for your feet.
1. Wear Socks
The best and easiest way to make a loose shoe fit perfectly is by wearing thick socks. There are some good cotton and woolen socks that can help you get rid of this issue.
These thick socks will craft an extra layer around the feet from the toe to the heel and cover the extra room from your shoe.
2. Use Custom Insole or Pads
There are some good custom insoles or pads such as silica and gel insoles that you can put inside your shoe to make them fit better.
This custom insole will provide an additional layer of cushioning by filling up the access room inside the shoe. And ensure better fitting for your feet.
3. Use Heel Liner
Using the heel liner is also a good trick to fix the big shoes fit perfectly. A heel liner is a kind of adhesive bandage that you stick inside the shoe at the heel.
Its installation is just super simple, all you have to remove its adhesive back and stick them inside the heel of the shoe.
The best part is that it works with a wide range of materials whether it is leather shoes, basketball shoes, casual shoes, or whether the shoe has a cotton lining or cloth lining, it works just fine.
So, what the heel liner does is push the feet closer to the toe and tip of the shoe. And it is the perfect solution if you find any shoe that is too long.
4. Use Packaging
Packing the toe areas of the shoe with cotton balls, tissue paper, or toilet paper is another good trick to cover the access space or fix the big shoes.
However, this is only applicable for casual shoes, dress shoes, flat shoes, sneakers, boots, and formal shoes, but not for athlete shoes.
5. Use Different Lacing Techniques
If your running shoes are a little wide, then using different lacing techniques can also be a good way to make them fit better according to your foot shape and the shoe you wear.
How Should Your Running Shoes Fit?
“A running shoe should be size enough that fits perfectly and snuggly. Your shoes should not be too big nor too small so that they can cause any kind of discomfort or strain in your foot.”
These are some of the best practices which if you keep in account, it may help you find your best fitting running shoes.
- Knowing the right foot size is the foremost best practice to get the right running shoes for your feet. So before you buy any shoes, have measured your foot.
- Try on running shoes with the sock you’ll be running in. This means whenever you buy any running shoes, try to wear the type of socks you’re going to wear on most of your runs.
- Buy running shoes at the end of the day when your feet are the biggest. It is because after running and completing activities your feet tend to swell throughout the day.
- Wear the shoes and walk around the store to assess how comfortable the shoe is for your feet. If the shoe is not comfy, just try the next pair.
Watch this video tutorial to know how running shoes should fit and learn cool tricks to correct your wrong-fitting running shoes.
Now you’ve known how important is to wear the right fitting shoes to provide your feet best support and stability during running, walking, and doing activities.
So, it’s never a good idea to wear the wrong size shoes. Because wearing the wrong size shoe has no single benefit but associate several major injuries and foot issue.
We hope you’ve liked this article and found it helpful. If so, make sure to share it with your loved ones and let them get benefit from this article.
And if you have any kind of suggestion or query, just write them in the comment section below. All your feedback would be appreciated.
Articles you may also find helpful: