Wondering how to remove smell from shoes?
Our feet are exposed to sweat, bacteria and other environmental factors that cause an unpleasant smell when they come into contact with our shoes.
This situation, which is uncomfortable for everyone, can be a cause of social stress, especially if the person has to take their shoes off in the company of others.
The problem is that many people do not know how to prevent it. Despite cleaning their feet, they continue suffering from this over and over again.
Also, some materials influence this problem arising which makes it difficult to eliminate completely with conventional products.
Fortunately, there are some simple yet effective ways that when applied, it neutralizes the bad smell, eliminates the bacteria and dampness that cause it.
In this blog article, we are sharing the 12 ultimate effective ways which if you put them into practice when you faced this problem, you can surely remove the bad odor from your shoes.
These Are 12 Effective Ways To Get Rid of Bad Odor From Shoes
1. How To Remove Smell From Shoes Using Baking Soda Method
Baking soda is one such chemical element which has the ability to absorb foul odor and the moisture present in the environment. And baking powder is available in almost every house for cleaning purposes.
And is one of the best methods to remove foul smell from your shoes.
- All you need to do is, pour baking soda into your insole of the shoe (make sure it covers the whole shoe). Spread the powder in the insole.
- You may leave your shoe overnight with baking powder and it will absorb all the foul odor from the shoe. Also, baking powder will kill any bacteria if present in the insole.
- In the morning, you may dumb the baking soda from the insole into the dustbin.
Note: Avoid using baking soda too often in leather shoes as it may become dry over time.
2. How To Remove Smell From Shoes Using Talcum Powder Method
Action of a talcum powder is the same as baking powder. A talcum or a baby powder absorb all the foul odor and the moisture from the environment.
- All you need to do is to pour out sufficient amounts of talcum or baby powder into the insole of the shoes.
- And you can use your hands or a waste toothbrush to spread the powder in the whole insole and leave for a night.
- Or the other option is to apply talcum or baby powder on your feet to resist sweating.
3. How To Remove Smell From Shoes Using Orange, Lemon, and Grapefruit peel
It is always recommended to use natural methods to clean and remove the smell from a shoe. And using natural peels of orange, lemon and grapefruit can help in removing foul odor from the shoe.
- All you need to do is, cut the peels of orange or lemon into a bunch of small pieces and place them into each shoe.
- The peels of such fruits will soak up all the foul stink from your shoe.
- The concept behind the peels of orange, lemon, and grapefruit is citrus oil.
- Citrus oil acts as a perfect cleansing agent and soaks up all the foul odor.
4. How To Remove Smell From Shoes Using Tea Tree oil Method
Tea tree oil is one of the best and most recommended methods that you can use to remove stinky odor from your shoes.
- Since we are using tea tree oil, it’s a liquid and we cannot directly pour it onto the shoe insole of those shoes that can’t allow washing. So you need two cups of rice (raw) and a pair of socks.
- Pour 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil into each rice bowl, stir well and pour down the rice from the bowl into the socks and place a sock into each shoe.
- Now leave the shoe overnight and wait for the morning for a ready-to-go wear shoe.
5. How to Get Rid of Bad Shoe Odor Using Tea Bags Method
You might be wondered to know that the tea bags placed in your kitchen can also be used as a home remedy to get rid of the stinky smell from your shoes.
- For this, grab some 4 to 5 tea bags and remove them from the packet.
- Just put these tea bags inside your shoe.
- Let your shoes leave overnight and wait for the morning, your shoe will smell fresh like tea.
6. How to Remove Bad Odor From Shoes Using Cotton Balls
Placing cotton balls inside the shoe is yet another very effective way to get rid of bad smell from shoes. This method is specially for those shoes that can’t be washed such as leather and suede made shoes.
- To implement this method, either you can take some amount of alcohol or you can take essential oil such as lemon oil or another clean citrus scent.
- All you need to do is to make some cotton balls and pour one of the liquid onto these cotton balls.
- After this, place these cotton balls inside your shoe and cover as many surface areas as you can.
- Let your shoes leave overnight and remove the cotton balls in the morning.
- You will see the bad odor from your shoes will go.
7. Get Yourself a Shoe Deodorant Spray
A shoe deodorant spray is a very effective tool that not just helps your feet smell fresh instantly without any hassle but it also helps you remove bad smell from your shoes on just spaying.
- All you need to do is to get yourself one of the shoe deodorant sprays available in the market.
- Take it into your bag along with you whenever you go outside, on travel, or anywhere.
- Spray shoe deodorant to your feet and shoe whenever you off your shoe.
8. Remove Smell From Shoes Using Breathable Socks
This is a common sense that the more breathable a sock is, the better its gonna sweat out there. So, it is very important to pay attention while you buy a sock that the sock should be more breathable.
And, having an extra pair of sock is also a good habit because whenever your one pair gets dirty or causes odor, you can put it for cleaning at the same time you can use the second pair of fresh sock and can avoid foul odor.
9. Prefer Breathable Mesh Upper Shoes
If you are an athlete or a sports person then it is advisable for you that whenever you buy a running or sports shoe always focus on the upper material. Choose a shoe which has more breathable upper.
Here, the same concept applied same as for the breathable sock, as the more breathable the upper of the shoe is, the better it’s gonna sweat out of the shoe and keep your feet deodorized by providing proper ventilation.
10. Let Your Shoes Dry in the Sun
Along with the above mentioned tips, this is another simplest as effective way to get rid of bad odor from shoes.
- All you need to do is just remove your shoes and let them sit in the sun.
- The sun will not only dry sweat from your shoes and reduce bacteria growth by killing them but it will also remove the bad smell for your shoes.
- This way, you get fresh deodorized shoes at home.
11. Trick to Eliminate Bacteria
As you might wear shoes on a daily basis as you go to the office or to work anywhere. If not disinfected properly your shoes might be harmful to you.
It is always advisable to have few sage and lavender at home because of its many benefits.
These are 2 such plants that have a tendency to absorb foul odor as well as help in killing harmful bacteria. They have aromatic and antibacterial properties that, together, eradicate these sweaty, dirty smells.
All you need to do is to place a few lavender springs and a few leaves of sage plant in each shoe and keep it on an open place like balcony or terrace for a night. Overnight you will have a fragrant fresh and ready to wear shoes.
12. How To Remove Smell From Shoes By Maintaining Good Hygiene
We all know that it’s the sweat of our feet that causes bacteria and the bacteria cause bad odor in the shoes. So, make sure to follow good food hygiene by washing your feet everyday with lukewarm water and clean your feet every time before you wear the shoes.
But, most of the people avoid this and they use their shoes for a long long time so they face bad smell in their shoes and also many types of other foot problems..
It is also very often that there are some shoes that smell worse than others, it is because their inner sole absorbs more sweat which causes very fast bacteria growth, thus it smells worse. So, try to wash your shoes on a regular basis to avoid this situation.
If you still can’t get rid of bad odor from your shoes after following the above shared tips, then it’s time to replace your shoes with a new one because after a certain time every shoe has to say goodbye.
Our Recommended Shoe Freshener Kit:
Here we conclude our blog article on how to remove smell from shoes by following these 12 effective ways without any hassle at home.
These are the 12 simple yet effective hacks which if you follow in everyday life then it can not only help make your shoe wearing experience so much better but also prevents your feet from fungus and many problems.
We hope you liked our simple hacks and found this article helpful. If so, then don’t forget to share this article with your friends and loved ones on social media.
And, if you have any kind of suggestion or query about this article, then feel free to write them in the below comment section.
We would love to hear from you about your feedback.
Articles you may like to read: